We’ve all seen hair curled just a little too lightly or too tightly, and we all think, “Well, that just looks silly.” Today, many hair stylists have been looking for the easiest and most consistent way of getting loose, sexy waves in their client’s hair without worrying about the downfalls. We found a way that works for us.
Sexy waves, if done right, create a just-tumbled, sleepy look; with the right touch, it can look elegant and classy, or casual and care-free. For the former, we suggest pinning the top portion of your hair (like the crown area) with a flashy barrette to create some volume and class; for the latter, keep hair loose.
Here’s what tends to work for us:
1) After a shower, I put mousse evenly throughout my hair, usually a volumizing kind with a strong hold. I’ll blow dry it as per usual and then plug in my curling iron.
2) My curling iron is a wand-style, a recent design that doesn’t have the clamp of regular style curlers. The other kind of iron can be used, as long as you don’t open the clamp. You’ll want a glove as well (the wand-style usually comes with one). The larger the barrel on the iron is, the larger your curls will be (I prefer 1.5 inch barrels).
3) Section off the top of your hair; you’ll want to work from the bottom to the crown to get all pieces of hair.
4) Take an inch section of hair (more or less, depending on the thickness of your hair and barrel), wrap the hair from 1/3 of the shaft down around the barrel. Using your hand (with a glove or something) hold the end of the hair in place. Keep the hair in place for a good minute or so, depending on the heat setting and the thickness of your hair (some people need longer for the curl to set; just be careful you don’t burn your hair).
5) Lightly spritz some extra-strong hair spray on that section; then go onto the next section.
6) Keep repeating step 4 and 5 until you reach the top of your hair and the pieces framing your face. All hair framing your face should be curled away from your hair (out, not in) as to frame it better; the strands after that should be curled the opposite way. This prevents curls from grouping together, so the body will be thicker and fuller.
7) Once done, spray entire hair one last time with extra-strong hair spray. Let it dry for a good five or ten minutes, then run your fingers lightly through the curls. This will spread the look for a more natural and sexy look.
As we said, you can group the crown-curls together for an elegant look. Feel free to add clips and bling to make the look yours personally, since loose waves are all the rage and all women want them.